Since discussion on Monk started to dominate discussion in other threads, I started a new one here.
To summarize some views:
- Most people agree that taking Monk at the time was the right pick. The quick rise of Donovan Mitchell questioned the pick. However, the jury is still out.
- Monk is very young and still relatively raw. He could be an amazing shooting guard at some point.
- He shows he has gifts at various times. The questions are can he score relatively reliably and can he make sure the rest of his game is sound enough that it doesn't hurt the team?
- At the moment, he's not playing in the summer league. While it's not clear why, Kupchak suggested that they'd like for him to be there. There's a variety of reasons why it makes sense for him to skip summer league. Summer league is not necessary for his continued development. However, some feel that it's a good opportunity for him to prove himself.
- As Monk is still valuable, he may be worth trading to achieve other team goals if we don't think he's going to develop into a great player here or otherwise.
Moving forward, here are some of the biggest questions. (I may pull in language from other people's posts. Not intending to plagiarize, just too lazy to look up who said things.)
- Does he have that "it" factor? Is he the type of player that might be special. Some people see a highly athletic player that can score quickly and make some fancy passes. Does he have that x-factor that may one day lead us to playoff success?
- Development: what are reasonable expectations for his improvement? Is it just that he needs more playing time or does he need to prove himself in practice that he's going to be a positive contributor?
- How long do we stick with him. He's very young and only going into year 3. However, we've had a few players that we hoped would get over some hump but never really did. It would be painful to have another draft pick that we simply let walk and didn't get any compensation for.
- If we keep him, what's a reasonable vision a couple of years from now? What kind of player is he?