#1 nowhere fast Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Two major questions:

Expiring contracts.  What should the team do with arguably its most valuable assets?

- Trade for picks.  Swallow bad contracts from some contender if we have to.  Or....

- Do nothing, let guys walk.  Have to protect that cap space.  Or....

- Re-sign some or all our guys.  Which ones? 

To tank or not to tank.

- Tank.  Top five pick here we come baby!  Or....

- Not tank.  We can do this I'm telling ya!

?

#2 Founding Hornet Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

Founding Hornet

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14
Tank and pray for top 3 pick

Only strategy that’s feasible.

Two years of this and with some luck, we will have plenty of cap room to keep the young nucleus together.

#3 Mich_Mercer Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,789 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
We just have to develop the young guys and not do anything, like trade for a quick fix in an older used to be star. I really feel like that’s the plan... but I guess we’ll see. I think we have a really promising core of young guys here and I see them taking a big jump this season.... not resulting in wins necessary.

#4 powellrmp Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,552 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I don't really like the young nucleus. So I'm not really excited about much this season. I hope I'm wrong and I'm not writing off guys, but I'm just not seeing a ton of potential from the young core.

#5 Chef Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:32 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,535 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I don't really like the young nucleus. So I'm not really excited about much this season. I hope I'm wrong and I'm not writing off guys, but I'm just not seeing a ton of potential from the young core.

Buckle up guys, this could be potentially 2011 bad.

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#6 dnbman Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,346 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I'm not sure if there's a future stud in the mix, but I think we have several young guys who can be contributors to a winner. That's enough for me now, assuming that we stay the course and don't take on bad assets to be mediocre.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#7 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,472 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC

Odds are this team sucks and finishes with 18-27 wins but also I can see a very very tiny percentage chance that this team is a 8th seed team. A lot of players on this team such as Rozier, Malik, Bridges, Bacon are going to be hungry to prove something. You also got many players going into contract years without certainty about their upcoming future Marv, MKG, Biz, Bacon Billy plus Cody + Batum with two years left both with a lot to prove. 

#8 Chef Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:15 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,535 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Odds are this team sucks and finishes with 18-27 wins but also I can see a very very tiny percentage chance that this team is a 8th seed team. A lot of players on this team such as Rozier, Malik, Bridges, Bacon are going to be hungry to prove something. You also got many players going into contract years without certainty about their upcoming future Marv, MKG, Biz, Bacon Billy plus Cody + Batum with two years left both with a lot to prove.

Hungry or not, there is very little talent. At best, those guys are trying to prove they are somewhere between 4th and 8th best players on a top 3 in the east roster.

#9 cltblkhscoach Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06

Tank and pray for top 3 pick

Only strategy that’s feasible.

Two years of this and with some luck, we will have plenty of cap room to keep the young nucleus together.

They wont have to "tank" they just wont be very good.

I'm excited about having plenty of leg roon during those midweek Orlando home games and a section to myself in the 200s ala the Bobcat years.

Play these young kids minutes and hope Borrego sticks to his guns about minute being tied to good defensive effort. It seems like he now can really be himself and I think they are going to give him a lot of rope to build similar to what they did in Philly with Brett Brown.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#10 TooCool Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:20 AM

TooCool

Look Ma, No Hands

• Moderators

• 2,407 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09
  • LocationPerth, Australia

I rate Miles higher than Hendo.

PJ Washington should be a solid piece.

Bacon as well, if his playmaking improves.

Buckle up guys, this could be potentially 2011 bad.

Maggette was piss poor on defense, Bacon adds a lot of 2-way versatility. Doesn't have Maggette's shoulders though I suppose. For google reasons I can't provide Maggette's old Bobcats nickname.

You're also talking about having BJ Mullens, Machete and TTime on a team with Diop it like it's hot.

Our 2011 team was pathetic, mixture of tremendously crap veterans (Diop), mindless idiots (BJ Mullens) and absolute beasts who were past their prime (Machete).

Biyombo back then was his first year, couldn't even catch a basketball (not much has changed in 8 years...) and Walker was learning the NBA game.

Our 2019 team is full of youth, hunger, swagger and pride. These are kids from college programs who won, and won a lot.

They'll all have a chip on their shoulder with everyone saying the Hornets will be the last in the East.

Granted, I wouldn't mind being last in the east. A top 4 pick would be handy...

praise_the_sun_banner_by_mrwallas79-d53g

#11 Chef Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:38 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,535 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I rate Miles higher than Hendo.

PJ Washington should be a solid piece.

Bacon as well, if his playmaking improves.

Maggette was piss poor on defense, Bacon adds a lot of 2-way versatility. Doesn't have Maggette's shoulders though I suppose. For google reasons I can't provide Maggette's old Bobcats nickname.

You're also talking about having BJ Mullens, Machete and TTime on a team with Diop it like it's hot.

Our 2011 team was pathetic, mixture of tremendously crap veterans (Diop), mindless idiots (BJ Mullens) and absolute beasts who were past their prime (Machete).

Biyombo back then was his first year, couldn't even catch a basketball (not much has changed in 8 years...) and Walker was learning the NBA game.

Our 2019 team is full of youth, hunger, swagger and pride. These are kids from college programs who won, and won a lot.

They'll all have a chip on their shoulder with everyone saying the Hornets will be the last in the East.

Granted, I wouldn't mind being last in the east. A top 4 pick would be handy...

in 2011 the league average per game scoring was 99.6 and a pace of 92.1, in 2018 it was 111 and 100. i struggle to find the way that this 2018 team consistently gets to 100 pts per game. the are going to get killed. 

#12 powellrmp Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:35 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,552 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

Agreed, I think some of the young players are and will be solid contributors but no one that I would really want to build around. The problem here in Charlotte historically been a team full of contributors that are overpaid. 

Obviously, these are young guys and it's far to early to ditch it and move on. But with the shit show this team has been, I'd prefer to see players moved if it doesn't seem as though they're key building blocks. When we wait and wait, we lose trade value and have been in positions where we have to pay the guys to avoid gaping holes in the roster. I'm out of patience and have been out of patience. I don't mind being bad, but at least really like what this team is building around.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I'm not just a big believer.

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:34 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,472 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Can’t believe some of you all think this team is on par with the 2011 team. It’s ridiculous to think losing Kemba and Lamb makes us 31 wins worse

#14 dnbman Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,346 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

Can’t believe some of you all think this team is on par with the 2011 team. It’s ridiculous to think losing Kemba and Lamb makes us 31 wins worse

I definitely think if we don't have a solid floor leader for this group, that could be a reality. I don't think Rozier is that big of a drop off (and can at least acknowledge that he may be an improvement, however unlikely), but until he shows that we play as a team with him, it could be a very rough season. 

That being said, I think we can get 20 wins on energy and hot hands alone. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#15 Adam42R Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,107 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I am with you my man. There is NO way this team is in the same state as that 7 win team. I'd say this team likely has more talent and more consistency than the Dunlap team at 21 wins. I don't know that it can achieve significantly over that 2012-13 (Dunalp) roster but there's no way we're worse off.  I thought I penned (or fonted) a tribute to this very notion in a thread that explained why it's "possible" that the rationalization to not actually move all gears to re-sign Kemba was considered.  Consider the 21 win team as a comparison. We had a 2nd year PG in Kemba leading all players in minutes and still not a fully known entity, and was still very much inefficient Kemba. Beyond that, we relied on Biz, Mully, and Gordon as vets.  Hendo was the second best player on the floor most nights (before we acquired Josh) and this was still sailing-wayward-out-of-bounds-I-think-I'm-Kobe-bricks-a-lot Hendo (but admittedly, this was still plus defender Hendo). We had MKG and Taylor and really I cannot recall much more. 

Gasp if you guys want to but Terry if a better 3pt shooter than Kemba year 2, likely no worse efficiency-wise, substantially a better defender, and I am not sure Terry is the best thing on this team today. I'd put both Miles and definitely Bacon ahead of Hendo in year 4. I'd put MKG in year 8 far better than MKG in year 1 (and there's no guarantee he'll play a role this season). Continue laughing when I say Nic Batum is a significantly better Josh McRoberts and we greatly benefited from Josh those last 25 or so games he joined. We're way better at the 5 even if that came down to Biz then and Biz now and Willy is an easy upgrade over BJ, Haywood, or Adrien and I'd put a healthy Cody ahead of the field. And I'd take a flakey Monk over a mercurial Gordon any day.  And to round it out, I have far, far more faith in JB than I did in Mike Dunlap and you guys should be able to sniff that I am not a big JB fan.

I.am.not.saying.that.we'll.be.remotely.good … but we're a more talented, more coherent and connected and better coached team than in 2012-13 let alone 2011-12.  This team is far closer in wins to this most recent year than the season that shall not be named. I think that's why the FO doesn't think they have thrown away too much.  Only time will tell if they are right or not.

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#16 Whiz Kid Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

Personally, I definitely think its overstated how much worse we are than the product we've put on the court the past 3 seasons. We lost Kemba and Lamb, yeah, but I think collectively their lost production can be made up with the improvement of our young guys and Rozier. I honestly don't believe we're bad enough to be THAT much worse than what we've been since Kemba emerged as an all star caliber PG.

To answer the question in the title:

1) Go all in on Monk. With him being the guy that is seemingly the most questioned young piece, its time to identify what you do and don't have in him. This way we really figure out if he is going to be a guy we consider a part of our future, or we can move him while he still has cheap value. This season there should be no inconsistency with how we utilize him, give him the opportunity, make a decision based on the results, if we part ways, it was on him for not rising to the occasion. That's how I feel he should be managed

2) Start Rozier/Monk/Bacon/Miles/Zeller(or Hernangomez). Utilize Batum, Marv, MKG, Biz,  Zeller off the bench in roles where they'd likely play on teams who could be potential trade destinations. We have do what we can to turn their contracts into potential late first and 2nd round picks.

#17 Keetch Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

Keetch

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 2,112 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06
Win or lose I’m just looking forward to a whole new dynamic of Rozier, Bridges, Bacon, Washington, Graham and Monk becoming the faces of the franchise. Defer Marvin and Batum to lesser roles. Good grief don’t start them, just don’t. They’re dinosaurs in “CHA”.

Let’s see who emerges from this group and look forward to even better young adds next year.
Rollin' in Doh

#18 Swedd523 Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,682 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

I really don't know how much better or worse they'll be than 2011, but I see no path for the team to win 20 games next year

#19 Founding Hornet Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:47 PM

Founding Hornet

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,181 posts
  • Joined 11-July 14

Fair point

#20 TooCool Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:27 AM

TooCool

Look Ma, No Hands

• Moderators

• 2,407 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09
  • LocationPerth, Australia

in 2011 the league average per game scoring was 99.6 and a pace of 92.1, in 2018 it was 111 and 100. i struggle to find the way that this 2018 team consistently gets to 100 pts per game. the are going to get killed. 

In 2011 our go-to player was Hendo.

2019 will probably be Bacon.

If we look at our starting lineup (they played 10 games together - it was a real mismash)

DJ Augustin 2011 vs Rozier - Slight edge to Rozier, better defender by far

G Henderson vs Batum - Hendo has the edge

C. Maggette vs Bacon - Bacon stronger defensively, Maggette stronger offensively.

TTime vs Miles Bridges - Bridges by daylight

Biyombo vs Cody Zeller - Zeller is daylights better, but weaker defensively

2 of the starters easily have the edge in 2019

2 of the starters in 2011 have the edge

Offensively, 2019 is weaker, but defensively is significantly better

You look who 2019 can pull off the bench.

Marvin Williams, Devonte Graham, PJ Washington, Hernangomez, Monk

That team outweighs:

BJ Mullens, DJ White, Kemba Walker (2011 version), Diop, Diaw

We might not score 100 points offensively each night, but we sure as hell will do a far better job defensively.

ironically enough, both 11 & 19 have supremely talented but extremely passive Frenchmen playing for us.

praise_the_sun_banner_by_mrwallas79-d53g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users