32 replies to this topic

#21 Adam42R Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,379 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Hope they pull it out, I need to crash and have nightmares of 19m contracts ;) - it was a good 3ish quarters of play. Keep improving. Glad we already have a win so we don't have that hanging over us :)

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#22 SuperKemba Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

SuperKemba

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 17-December 11

Win or lose I like the way the Hornets are competing.

#23 SuperKemba Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

SuperKemba

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 17-December 11

Barely able to watch the game (choppy stream) but it looks like Monk had a pretty good night.

#24 Buzzau Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:00 AM

Buzzau

Cardiac Kemba Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Joined 04-November 15
  • LocationMelbourne, Aus
I've been impressed by Miles on D

#25 Adam42R Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:01 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,379 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
10 pts, 3 assists, 1 TO, 2 fouls and a +8
15 pts, 2 assists, 5 TO, 4 fouls and a -26

One costs 17m and we largely regard as a disaster with hands forged in pure stone, the other is 19.5m and he's our starting PG for three years and we gave up a second round pick for the pleasure. Oh and stone hands had the +8 lol

I should have just crashed when I said I was, now I'm ticked off from watching the last 3m.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#26 QC Thundercats Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,329 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

...the other is 19.5m and he's our starting PG for three years and we gave up a second round pick for the pleasure. 

I would say thats tenuous.  I always assumed the contract was future trade bait, as long as he was productive enough to get a good deal.  Devonte keeps it up though, he might even force JB to give the nod to him, and either move Bacon or terry to the bench as soon as this year.  Probably Bacon though, but Terry is probably on the roster for this year and half of next year, especially if we draft one of the blue chip point guards in this coming draft.

#27 powellrmp Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,595 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I'm really shocked by the development of devonte graham. I'm all for it and it poses a lot of intriguing story lines as the season progresses.

But what I do like to see is a run and gun small ball line up of: Rozier/Graham/Bacon/Miles/PJ

Not for that unit to log major minutes, but I do believe that unit could be successful to push the pace and stretch the floor for spans.

#28 buckets Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

buckets

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,736 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

I would say thats tenuous. I always assumed the contract was future trade bait, as long as he was productive enough to get a good deal. Devonte keeps it up though, he might even force JB to give the nod to him, and either move Bacon or terry to the bench as soon as this year. Probably Bacon though, but Terry is probably on the roster for this year and half of next year, especially if we draft one of the blue chip point guards in this coming draft.

An interesting predicament for a FO/coach that have gone to extraordinary lengths to validate their own process by, in part, burying inherited players on rich contracts in favor of their own acquisitions. And not that jettisoning inherited players is unusual, just somewhat extreme and regardless of quality of play.

But here we are. Devonte was their 2nd round pick (well 2 second round picks). Rozier is the expensive vet. And you know it just kills the FO they can’t jump up and down loudly waiving Devonte’s receipts by starting him at point.

I suspect they’ll stay the course or bench Bacon (previous FO).
#Chodidthemath

#29 SuperKemba Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:14 PM

SuperKemba

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 17-December 11

I always felt like Terry was an expensive placeholder until Devonte developed to the point he was ready to take the helm or we drafted a star PG. This is why I predicted before the season Devonte would beat out Terry in the starting line up. I didn't expect him to play so well in the beginning though. Devonte always had that "it" factor when it came to making plays, whether it's through passing, getting key steals or rebounds.

I also think the organization felt it needed to have a fall back plan in case Devonte wasn't quite ready and Terry was the best available on the market. That's why they only signed him for 3 years. They overpaid him in exchange for a slightly shorter deal.

#30 Adam42R Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,379 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
There's nothing to gain for DG by putting him in the starting line up in place of Terry this year. He's going to have to play at this level at least until everyone has tape on him and he can maintain. Otherwise you are setting up undercutting everyone by flipping those two. And even if he can maintain, I'd still let Terry have it for this year. Puts far more heat on him and let DG have plenty of room to grow. And you can still get DG 36mpg off the bench.

#31 QC Thundercats Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,329 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

There's nothing to gain for DG by putting him in the starting line up in place of Terry this year. He's going to have to play at this level at least until everyone has tape on him and he can maintain. Otherwise you are setting up undercutting everyone by flipping those two. And even if he can maintain, I'd still let Terry have it for this year. Puts far more heat on him and let DG have plenty of room to grow. And you can still get DG 36mpg off the bench.

If you ask me whats most likely to happen, I think the starting lineup will stay with Terry and Bacon, and DG probably is not gonna maintain a 17.5 and 7.3 assist per game average on 53% 3 point shooting.  

But if he's legit getting up to that 15-16 range, 5+ assists and over 40% from 3, I think there is value developing his game against starting point guards.  He seems mentally strong enough where he won't crumble in confidence.  A couple of his moves against a legit Clippers squad looked very Kemba-esque, and Kemba didn't become THE Kemba until about year 3-4 - learning how to change his pace, mastering the pick and roll, how to use his body to finish at the rim, how and when to pull up in the mid range.  I think experience is the best teacher for those aspects.

Again, this is only if DG can prove he's this capable every game.  But my overall philosophy is let the best man win.  Every position is a competition, PJ took his spot, I don't think there is any loyalty to Terry other than Mitch saving face for a large contract. But whoever wins the contest to help us most should get the most development in our rebuilding years to see what we got.

#32 powellrmp Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:16 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,595 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I'm never really worried about who is starting. Minutes, units, and rotations tend to tell the story. Lots of teams are rolling out multiple ball handlers on the floor more frequently anywho.

#33 dnbman Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:01 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,398 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I'm never really worried about who is starting. Minutes, units, and rotations tend to tell the story. Lots of teams are rolling out multiple ball handlers on the floor more frequently anywho.

Was about to say the same. As long as Rozier can set the table and keep things rolling most nights, I don't suspect there will be an issue. If we see a constant pattern of going into bdep holes and then asking Devonte to bail us out, that's a different issue.

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users