#41 Chef Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:59 AM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

who is pj?

not quite chris bosh in size and mid range. way better than david west. not an athletic sf type but can shoot outside and is very very adept in the post. i love his offensive game.

http://www.espn.com/...lip?id=27971640

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#42 Mich_Mercer Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC

These last 2 mins.....

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team throw the ball away so much. We looked like a high school team playing a NBA team... haha Hope we can fix that.

#43 nowhere fast Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

I remember a story in the Observer about Noah Vonleh showing off his ballhandling on the perimeter.  Old Steve said unless Noah could consistently punish smaller guys in the post the other team could sic a guard on him and just run us to the ground going small.  The way PJ played against SacTown is what Steve wanted out of picks like Noah and Frank the time he was here.

#44 QC Thundercats Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:28 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,329 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

who is pj?

not quite chris bosh in size and mid range. way better than david west. not an athletic sf type but can shoot outside and is very very adept in the post. i love his offensive game.

He's kind of like one of the old school hybrid 3/4 players.  The guys I actually was thinking of were also Kentucky bigs, who were not super athletic, but very smooth for their size, could knock in the 3 ball, but were very clever and a load in the mid post.

1) Jamal Mashburn - Monster Mash is probably a better passer and ball handler, and he was more of an outside to inside type player.  I just remember when he was with the Hornets, he'd start his work a lot in the post and shoot over smaller guys.  PJ I think has a better shot though.

2) Antoine Walker - Looking at young Antoine highlights seemed pretty close.  Unguardable down low with an array of moves.  Can easily step out and nail 3s.  Antoine was also a very gifted passer, but he fell too in love with donuts and shooting 3s and 4s later in his career.

#45 Whiz Kid Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Whiz Kid

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined 11-April 12

who is pj?

Paul Millsap.

#46 TooCool Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

TooCool

Look Ma, No Hands

• Moderators

• 2,411 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Paul Millsap.

Less yelling better defensive less refined post game version of Carlos Boozer without the fadeaway?

praise_the_sun_banner_by_mrwallas79-d53g

#47 powellrmp Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,595 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I think JB wants as many facilitators on the court together as possible. I that, not his stepping up defensively, is why Monk started getting more burn. I also won't be surprised if Coach eventually swaps Monk in the starting group over Bacon, it helps Terry significantly to have a second decision maker out there. It would be interesting to see if Cody shared the floor with Terry. While Caleb is the better scorer, I think Cody is that better decision maker with the ball.

Agreed. I'm also cool with the Devonte Graham/Rozier pairing. Small, yeah. But good shooting and two good ball handlers. As happy as I am for Graham's big developmental step, I'd like to give Monk a nod in the starting role beside Rozier for a stretch. I really want to see the kid (Monk) put it all together.

#48 powellrmp Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,595 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

I did not know PJ was so adept in the post with an array of post moves. I was initially turned off by the thought of him being an undersized SF/PF, but now I see how he compensates through using his body and positioning well. In fact, his positioning is fantastic when he sets up. And his 3 point stroke is fluid. *Not to take anything away from PJ, but I was extremely underwhelmed by how he was defended by Bjelica.

But once again, we run into lineup quandaries due to personnel on this Hornets team. I have always pegged Miles as a slashing PF, but with PJ on the team it would seem as though Miles will be a SF. Not to say that Miles doesn't have any handles, but I don't see him as a ball handler/shot creator/distributor by any means. This means we MUST have two guards that are adept at handling the basketball on the floor at the same time. Is this Rozier and Monk? Rozier and Graham? I just don't see how Bacon fits into that need like Monk or Graham would. 

This is how I see things. I really like that second unit actually.

Rozier/Graham

Monk/Bacon

Miles/Batum

PJ/MKG

Zeller/Marvin

#49 Chef Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
If I were on charge I would be looking to trade everyone except Graham and pj. Maybe rozier (he and Graham are a good pairing and rotation).

Mkg and Marv to a playoff team for an extra year of salary and a 1st each

Cody hopefully for similar salary and a 1st or extra year

Biz extra year of salary + 1st

Miles + Cody for 2 1sts?
Miles + batum for expiring?

#50 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,653 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
I feel like this front office has probably been trying to trade Marvin, Batum, MKG for the past two seasons

#51 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,653 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
I actually would be interested in signing Marvin this offseason to a vets minimum. I think he’s a great leader and mentor for the team

#52 cltblkhscoach Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
MKG isnt fetching a 1st man, come on now.

Unless Marvin brings a 1st rounder, Im more inclined to keep him around unless he's decided hes done after this year and wants to chase a ring. If thats the case, do him a solid and get what you can for him.

Batum, once he comes back, hopefully can help the bench the next 2 years because no one is taking that contract.

I would keep Cody as well, hes the only competent big we have and he's not old, so he can be around once we come out of this reset.

And I agree, Bacon is a good piece, but he doesn't quite fit the ball movement synergy right now and he's got to find his way, kind of like Monk has. He doesnt move enough off the ball at the moment and while he has some good iso stuff in a Joe Johnson mold, its a little frustrating that it takes him a lot of time to get to his spots.

I wouldnt mess with Monk right now, but it is something that bears watching if these trends continue.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#53 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

GeraldWallaceMVP

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,653 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

#54 Chef Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

MKG isnt fetching a 1st man, come on now.

Unless Marvin brings a 1st rounder, Im more inclined to keep him around unless he's decided hes done after this year and wants to chase a ring. If thats the case, do him a solid and get what you can for him.

Batum, once he comes back, hopefully can help the bench the next 2 years because no one is taking that contract.

I would keep Cody as well, hes the only competent big we have and he's not old, so he can be around once we come out of this reset.

And I agree, Bacon is a good piece, but he doesn't quite fit the ball movement synergy right now and he's got to find his way, kind of like Monk has. He doesnt move enough off the ball at the moment and while he has some good iso stuff in a Joe Johnson mold, its a little frustrating that it takes him a lot of time to get to his spots.

I wouldnt mess with Monk right now, but it is something that bears watching if these trends continue.

Mkg (expiring and valuable rotation wing) def gets a first if you are taking back another year of salary

#55 cltblkhscoach Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Valuable rotation wing where? Lol.

Taking on the salary would get a first if its a long term one, but MKG isnt a move the needle piece in that equation.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#56 powellrmp Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

powellrmp

Braindead Stupid 2020

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,595 posts
  • Joined 19-April 16

speaking of MKG, why hasn't MKG been in the rotation?

#57 Veteran_Picksetter Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

Veteran_Picksetter

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,757 posts
  • Joined 30-May 10

speaking of MKG, why hasn't MKG been in the rotation?

I'm sure others are better equipped to answer, but I'll take a stab at it:

The Hornets are developing younger wings and 4s: Miles, PJ, Bacon, and Monk. Let's see what we have there.

MKG simply doesn't make enough threes to warrant being out there. He would have been an excellent long-term starter in just about any other era. It's too bad.

#58 Chef Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

Valuable rotation wing where? Lol.

Taking on the salary would get a first if its a long term one, but MKG isnt a move the needle piece in that equation.

Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee, clips, Lakers, Portland, Denver, Houston

#59 dnbman Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:58 PM

dnbman

Existential Crisis Manager

• Moderators

• 6,398 posts
  • Joined 25-June 07

I'm sure others are better equipped to answer, but I'll take a stab at it:

The Hornets are developing younger wings and 4s: Miles, PJ, Bacon, and Monk. Let's see what we have there.

MKG simply doesn't make enough threes to warrant being out there. He would have been an excellent long-term starter in just about any other era. It's too bad.

Yeah, I'm not sure that lock down man on man defenders are as important in the age of "pass until open 3" basketball. He would have been huge in the early 00s. 

Last Member: Nick Batum Fan Club

Professional Self-Loather

#60 buckets Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:00 PM

buckets

• Honorary Beagle

• 5,736 posts
  • Joined 27-June 15

who is pj?

Slow down hard charger. David West was an historically elite big shooter. He’d crush PnP in today’s game.

Hell, he was so good from 2P that his efficiency still holds up nicely against many of today’s 3P shooting bigs.
#Chodidthemath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users