2 replies to this topic

#1 JGib23 Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

JGib23

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Cho

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Joined 27-October 08

I don't think it's too early to start talking about Devonte and his contract. The Hornets are in an interesting position that I believe warrants some discussion on strategy.

The Hornets have a team option on Devonte for next year for $1.7M which looks like it would be an absolute steal based on his development. The question is do we roll the dice and decline the team option in a gesture of goodwill and try to negotiate a long term extension that gets him much more money next season but, the following years would be at a lower number or roll the dice keep him on the $1.7M deal and risk losing him the year after in free agency ( I think he will be restricted so we can match any offer)

Thoughts?

I can't believe we have a 2nd round pick that is this successful.... normally we would have sold that pick for $500k and a box of popcorn.

#2 Chef Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,630 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08

I don't think it's too early to start talking about Devonte and his contract. The Hornets are in an interesting position that I believe warrants some discussion on strategy.

The Hornets have a team option on Devonte for next year for $1.7M which looks like it would be an absolute steal based on his development. The question is do we roll the dice and decline the team option in a gesture of goodwill and try to negotiate a long term extension that gets him much more money next season but, the following years would be at a lower number or roll the dice keep him on the $1.7M deal and risk losing him the year after in free agency ( I think he will be restricted so we can match any offer)

Thoughts?

I can't believe we have a 2nd round pick that is this successful.... normally we would have sold that pick for $500k and a box of popcorn.

Good question. I think you have to really wait until Feb/March. Hot start or big jump is the real question

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#3 mrtarheel Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

mrtarheel

Crash

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,006 posts
  • Joined 05-March 08

Hot start or big jump the kid has game.  I say we try and lock him up as soon as we can.  Starter or backup we can't just keep getting talent and watch it walk away for pennies on the dollar.  It's time we start building and taking some chances.  I think at the trade deadline there will be a chance to improve this team with the expiring deals we have.  I know we could probably get something for Marvin but it wouldn't hurt me if we kept him as a mentor for PJ and Miles.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users