#3 Mich_Mercer Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Mich_Mercer

Keep Monk and MKG

• 1000+ posts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 27-June 13
  • LocationWilmington, NC
Let’s do it... however, if they want one of Washington, monk, graham, Bridges.. I may say no and wait for free agency.

If I had to lose one, I’d lose Bridges though.

#4 Chef Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:18 PM

Chef

The All-Knowing All-Seeing Beagle

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
This team and I are in such an abusive relationship

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#5 jfoster Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

jfoster

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,478 posts
  • Joined 25-April 14
  • LocationGreenville, South Carolina
I truly dont see any positive for the hornets trading for drummond OR signing him in free agency.

#6 cltblkhscoach Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Biz would be a part of this along with Marvin and a 1st rounder with lottery protection I presume to get him in this year. None of the young guns besides Wily should be an option. Detroit should take that knowing getting something for him is better than nothing.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

#7 cltblkhscoach Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:38 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Signing him in free agency...I would have thought that would have been a surprise based on what they have said, but they reportedly were going after Cauley-Stein, so I guess they know they need a big, which they do, but still I would have thought they would look for a young guy with upside to grow with these guys.

#8 kiery101 Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:42 PM

kiery101

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 21-June 15
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

I truly dont see any positive for the hornets trading for drummond OR signing him in free agency.

Sign him in FA and trade him for a pick ;)

#9 mrtarheel Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

mrtarheel

Crash

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,008 posts
  • Joined 05-March 08

Let’s do it... however, if they want one of Washington, monk, graham, Bridges.. I may say no and wait for free agency.

I was thinking something along the lines of if it was during the season that they would want a starting caliber center back.  I would do Zeller, MKG and Bridges for Drummond and Snell.

Gives them a starting center on a 2yr deal, an expiring contract of 13 mil and a hometown favorite.

Gives us a bigger defensive presence in the paint, rebounds.  Snell is a replacement for Bridges that you could hopefully flip for someone like Morris from the Knicks and Robinson.

#10 mrtarheel Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

mrtarheel

Crash

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,008 posts
  • Joined 05-March 08

Signing him in free agency...I would have thought that would have been a surprise based on what they have said, but they reportedly were going after Cauley-Stein, so I guess they know they need a big, which they do, but still I would have thought they would look for a young guy with upside to grow with these guys.

He's only 26 yrs old which fits in with this group.  A little older but still young.

#11 QC Thundercats Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,329 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

POPULAR

They better wait until the offseason.  Getting Drummond solidifies them as an 8 seed.  Great.  Then thats what we'll be the next 5 years, especially if they have to give up any assets.  Its what the idiot Knicks did to get Melo instead of keeping all their guys and signing him in the next offseason.  They still haven't recovered.

This is the asset gathering phase.  Not the chip cashing in phase.  Get another top 10 pick, trade Marv/MKG/Biz for another pick or so.  If you feel you must try to sign Drummond in the summer, at least you'll have next years pick and other future picks, plus an expiring Batum.

But if they want to go back to back years with doing the dumbest thing possible out of all their potential options, then by all means stab yourself in the balls again.

#12 Adam42R Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,379 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Biz would be a part of this along with Marvin and a 1st rounder with lottery protection I presume to get him in this year. None of the young guns besides Wily should be an option. Detroit should take that knowing getting something for him is better than nothing.

Why would a sober GM do this?  And TBH, if they would, that's got the toxic combo written all over it for us to stay very far away. I am not one that thinks Drummond brings us any team value. He might - like Dwight in a way - bring us some spectacular him numbers but has he improved significantly defensively that we should be so interested in him?  

Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#13 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,653 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Not buying it

#14 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:01 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
I am team - don't trade for him but I would be okay with us signing him next summer

#15 Swedd523 Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:31 PM

Swedd523

• Moderators

• 9,691 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09
I'm conflicted on Drummond. On one hand he's immediately the best and most productive Center in Bobnets 2.0 history. On the other, I can't help but feel like he's more of an empty stats guy.

He puts up huge stats, but that team has always been trash since he's been there, even with what looks like relatively good talent on paper.

Is that due to roster construction? Or is Drummond part of the problem?

I'd bring him in if we could be relatively certain that he'd buy into the movement and play the role that he would excel at here.

Don't wanna trade a first for him though. I'd do something around Cody/Biz/MKG, and seconds. The team has zero chance signing him on the open market, so if they really want him, it'll have to be via trade.

Trading other expiring for him now allows them to run a try out and see how he fits. If it goes well, then you can hopefully resign him. If not, you can try to trade him at the deadline or use his expiring in a S&T at the loss of non long term pieces.

I see very little downside to a trade, assuming the outgoing package is reasonable

#16 Chef Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

Chef

• Honorary Beagle

• 10,649 posts
  • Joined 29-February 08
He's a bum.

Does anyone else remember 12 straight high p&r possessions where kemba either scored or assisted open shots down the stretch last year?

Anybody else remember Cody seemingly shutting him down just by being tough and Scrappy and running the floor?

Anybody notice he never plays well against other good centers?

If you want to go after an empty stats guy, I would so much rather figure out how to get cj from Portland

Holding out hope that Mike sells.

#17 TheDorkLord Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

TheDorkLord

Primoz "Gangsta" Brezec

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined 17-September 09
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC
This would be a typical stupid Hornets move. Now is not the time to make this type of trade.

#18 cltblkhscoach Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
I feel kind of like Swedd. Detroit hasnt really been a place of any real structure to say who's fault it is for the failure of success for Drummond or that team.

As a mid-market team, its the kind of thing to take a chance on if they take back what you want. If it doesnt fit the rest of the year, he expires anyway, nothing too much lost.

#19 QC Thundercats Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:04 AM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,329 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

As a mid-market team, its the kind of thing to take a chance on if they take back what you want. If it doesnt fit the rest of the year, he expires anyway, nothing too much lost.

I just don't think this is a gamble worth taking though.  If Drummond doesn't fit and we let him walk, what did that cost? A potential first round pick this year or next? Drummond helping us win too much and not getting into the top 5?  Using an expiring for Drummond instead of a lower risk prospect and/or draft pick?

And the other risk, he plays great, but decides to sign elsewhere - then we lose our assets and our free agent target.  If tonights game isn't a reminder (along with Hornets history), we don't get the benefit of the doubt, we don't get lucky, we're not even a bridesmaid, but the 2nd alternate bridesmaid. 

I still feel we need to keep acquiring as many assets and drafting as high as we can for the next 2 years as possible.  We short changed the last rebuild with Big Al (and lost Brother Dave from this site permanently, which may be the bigger deal), I just don't think Drummond is worth that at this point.

#20 cltblkhscoach Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:45 AM

cltblkhscoach

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,178 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Brother Dave...what a blast from the past, lol.

The postgame show highlighted the fact we are last in the league in rebounding, which Im sure is why we have this real interest in Drummond. I get where the apprehension comes from, but as I have said plenty of times before - high draft picks dont guarantee us a thing.

I guess its a more philosophical argument to me than whether Drummond is worth anything in our place - and I think everyone here has good points for their argument. It will be interesting to see what the front office ultimately does for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users