#1 Adam42R Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,459 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10
Anyone got info on the shoulder?
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#2 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:26 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,730 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Well this will be a Miles game

#3 nowhere fast Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

nowhere fast

Crash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Joined 16-May 17

Came back from the locker room though.

#4 GeraldWallaceMVP Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:47 PM

GeraldWallaceMVP

All Aboard the Rozier Bandwagon

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,730 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15
  • LocationQueen City, Charlotte NC
Batum is ridiculously slow

#5 WIAN Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:58 PM

WIAN

Ajinca (French for wasted draft pick)

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,324 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08
We need a guard that can breakdown the defense off the dribble bad!!

#6 Adam42R Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,459 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

Batum is ridiculously slow

Took three charges, has two steals, has multiple deflections - think he's moving at the right speed. Get Terry, Miles, and Bacon to play with any better feel and this is entirely different.
Here comes McRoberts, the throw to Walker, it's in the aaaaaiiiiirrrr, YESSSSS! Bobcats win it! My my my, Kemba Walker. Steve Martin - Toronto 12/18/2013

#7 WIAN Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,324 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

Took three charges, has two steals, has multiple deflections - think he's moving at the right speed. Get Terry, Miles, and Bacon to play with any better feel and this is entirely different.

In that order with Bacon getting these least of the pie just for mins played alone. I'm off the Miles train until further notice. He's feast or famine and the feast is far too infrequent.

#8 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

GOBOBCATS24

Sean May... Krispy-Kreme MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08
The mental game is a huge part of the NBA and any sport for that matter. Somehow, over the summer, Bacon has had something change with his mental approach to the game. When coupled with loss of confidence, Bacon is just not currently an effective player. Would rather see his minutes go to MKG, who is still ONLY 25!

#9 QC Thundercats Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:21 PM

QC Thundercats

Quality Control Thundercats

• Honorary Beagle

• 2,348 posts
  • Joined 01-June 12

The mental game is a huge part of the NBA and any sport for that matter. Somehow, over the summer, Bacon has had something change with his mental approach to the game. When coupled with loss of confidence, Bacon is just not currently an effective player. Would rather see his minutes go to MKG, who is still ONLY 25!

The knee has to be a bigger issue then he's letting on.  I was guessing he was hiding an injury before the knee news even came out, I wonder if he's pressing hard to prove he's a worthy player, at the expense of his health.  A balky knee can severely drain confidence, which would most explain his sudden lack of effectiveness.  I don't think the mental side can wreck someone's game to this degree outside of an injury.  Or depression, but I won't speculate...

#10 GOBOBCATS24 Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:24 PM

GOBOBCATS24

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Joined 11-December 08

The knee has to be a bigger issue then he's letting on. I was guessing he was hiding an injury before the knee news even came out, I wonder if he's pressing hard to prove he's a worthy player, at the expense of his health. A balky knee can severely drain confidence, which would most explain his sudden lack of effectiveness. I don't think the mental side can wreck someone's game to this degree outside of an injury. Or depression, but I won't speculate...

There could be numerous factors to his poor play, but I am telling you that his mentality is damaged. He has caught a version of the yips. Hopefully he will improve.

#11 Icky Thump Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:52 AM

Icky Thump

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Joined 28-June 07

We need to hire the best sports therapist there is. Just off the top of my head in the last few seasons, guys who have had or seemingly had issues that are/were holding them back in that way... Kaminsky, MKG, Bacon, Monk. I know its part of the game but it just seems a bit odd to me.

T73It2l.gifTime to nut up or shut up!

#12 Adam42R Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:52 AM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,459 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

There could be numerous factors to his poor play, but I am telling you that his mentality is damaged. He has caught a version of the yips. Hopefully he will improve.

Regardless of cause, I am concerned that JB is playing him through it. He's loudly stated that performance equals PT. That only seems to apply to Monk. It seems as if he feels Bacon just needs ro find out it there on the court (and Miles to a degree) where I think he'd benefit from a tune up on GSO. Long term, the disconnect between JBs message and action may undermine his authority.

#13 WIAN Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:34 PM

WIAN

• 1000+ posts
  • 1,324 posts
  • Joined 01-November 08

Regardless of cause, I am concerned that JB is playing him through it. He's loudly stated that performance equals PT. That only seems to apply to Monk. It seems as if he feels Bacon just needs ro find out it there on the court (and Miles to a degree) where I think he'd benefit from a tune up on GSO. Long term, the disconnect between JBs message and action may undermine his authority.

I would say I saw some roots to that tree last night. When Malik was subbed out in the 4th he didn't acknowledge one teammates hand as he walked to the end of the bench. He was not happy at all. Hopefully it was a one time thing but I guess we'll see....

#14 Adam42R Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

Adam42R

MKG's biggest fan

• Honorary Beagle

• 9,459 posts
  • Joined 22-December 10

I would say I saw some roots to that tree last night. When Malik was subbed out in the 4th he didn't acknowledge one teammates hand as he walked to the end of the bench. He was not happy at all. Hopefully it was a one time thing but I guess we'll see....

I am genuinely not surprised. We had two BKN fans behind us and one asked something to the effect of "what is the deal with Monk getting no PT?" and I realized I had no good answer. I started to say it was at one time based on defense but saying it out loud, it just sounded tired and wrong. You cannot now convince me that Monk isn't playing better all around ball on any segment of the court than Miles and Bacon. And I don't say that lightly, I have been enormously critical of Malik. But he's been putting in work and he's simply not the deficit on defense that those other two have become. Bacon seems slow, I think he knows where to be. Miles is harder to figure out, he sometimes looks like he's just freelancing and maybe that's a carry over from college ball.  

I fear that we as a team are using poor decision making on the bench as a response to results, not the cause of them. Frank looked bad at times under the Cliff and JB watches. I don't know what Frank is as a player in a vacuum. And no one does at this point and I will not accept they do. We know Frank as a composite of odd treatment, oft doghousing, highly inconsistent playing groups, and inconsistent assignments.  E.g. his empirical target state to today using an ideal trajectory is impossible to say. We now know his actual trajectory and can surmise we didn't get the most out of him and we likely damaged his potential. I feel we're doing the very same with Malik.

We initially took on the persona of our coaches in the MJ era. I don't believe for a minute Larry or Paul gave one damn about how Mike wanted them to coach their benches.  I don't believe that continued with Dunlap and we have had two guys that were thankful for the opportunity types following him. I believe that's led to direction from the FO on how the bench is played and treated.  Seems we took on a kid glove approach to Kemba (moreso with not retaining DJ and bringing in no credible PG to challenge him for the job), Biz and MKG - all these guys were thrust into starting roles and minutes and that was a huge departure from Larry Brown's coaching approach.  But I think of how hard Mike was to play with by all accounts and how he absolutely tortured teammates to make them better.  I wonder if that started to creep in after Cody's arrival and we start to see that more Brown-esque treatment of newbies with Frank, and later Monk.  Don't misunderstand, I don't think these guys are singled out by a more psych-driven coaching approach, I think these guys are more impacted by it negatively.  That seems at complete odds with what we normally hear from professional coaches (likely more tenured than Clif or JB) where they acknowledge that they have to meet each player where they are as a coach to get the most out of the team.  

You guys want to know why someone like Nic gets 30 minutes every night?  I have my basketball reasons but I bet it's in large part too because he's got no ego in the mix and folks w/ no ego don't get beat down by the psych-drama tumbler that it seems our last two coaching staffs have employed.

Sorry for breaking into a Ted Talk there :)

#15 cltblkhscoach Posted 07 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

cltblkhscoach

Forgotten Member Of High Voltage

• 1000+ posts
  • 3,228 posts
  • Joined 03-July 06
Malik will be all right, in the heat of the moment guys get upset and hell Ive been there myself.

But I still dont like the double standard either. And agree Malik has been a lot more consistent this season.

Allan Bristow Is The GOAT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users